Environmental, Social and Economic responsibility are essential components for a sustainable industry. Our mission is to support the global leather industry to learn, to improve and to protect for future generations, through the People ~ Planet ~ Profit principle.
“Let’s be the change that secures the future” – Deborah Taylor, Managing Director.
What We Do
We are industry led – consumer focused. At the heart of the foundation is the integrated SLF Transparency Dashboard™, linked to a certification standard that assesses the compliance and performance of leather manufacturers and associated facilities, against the three pillars of sustainability, within the leather value chain:
Today’s society is more informed and more conscious of the effects that production and consumption have on the earth’s natural resources and its ability to regenerate; the negative impacts that can damage our ecosystem; the importance of fair and humane treatment of workers and the welfare of animals.
The Foundation Provides:
• Access to the SLF Transparency Dashboard™ for all stakeholders involved in the leather industry.
• An audit and certification standard for organisations involved in the manufacture of leather, to measure their Environmental, Social and Governance performance, against a set of recognised standards and limits.
• Access to training and education to support the stakeholders in understanding the requirements of a sustainable leather industry.
• The opportunity to actively work within technically focused and consumer focused Collaboration Hubs to contribute to and influence positive change alongside industry experts and peers.
• Resource materials and templates for adoption by the industry.
• Facilitation of an environment where collaborative alignment of environmental and social priorities can be addressed to ensure continuous improvement.
• Access to an improvement and innovation fund designed to support advancements for a more sustainable leather industry.
• Consumer integrated access to sustainability information from brands, displayed in a concise manner through the SLF Transparency Dashboard™ App accessed through user-friendly QR codes.
• Access to a wealth of resources and experience
The below video gives an introduction to the aims of the foundation and explains more about how SLF can support the leather industry.
For more information about the Sustainable Leather Foundation Audit Standard, click the link below:
For more information on partnership benefits and how to join the work of the foundation please visit our Partnership Page: